Sunbathing: is it good or bad?
Summer arrives cyclically every year and among the key issues that comes up every time there is the question: is the sun good or bad?
Over the years this question has prompted scientists to seek a precise answer, which however escapes from being found yet. Undoubtedly it can be said that the sun has its pros and cons and knowing them allows us to take it in the right way.
Recent studies have confirmed that exposure increases the risk of developing skin cancers, which is why taking the right preventive measures is a must. On the other hand, it has been shown that sunlight allows the body to have adequate levels of vitamin D, which reduce the possibility of developing tumors towards other organs.
Find out more about Beauty here.
The mysteries of tan
Tanning is nothing more than the way our body defends itself from the sun. Melatonin, a pigment that is produced when we are hit by the sun’s rays, has the specific task of protecting the skin from UV rays.
It’s good to remember that the ultraviolet rays not only pass through the clouds, but also other elements which lead to the illusion of being sheltered from them.
Under the umbrella, for example, more than 50% of the rays are received due to the reverberation. While 95% of them penetrate the water.
Despite the protective effect of tanning, UV rays also have a harmful appearance. First of all they cause the degeneration of elastin and collagen, the proteins that allow the skin to be elastic. On the other hand, ultraviolet radiation modifies DNA thus leading to possible causes of cancer.
The 7 steps for a healthy tan
It’s important to say that tanning, being a defense system of the skin against the sun’s rays, is something that we take whether we look for it or not. It’s enough to be exposed to the sun for a long time, be it a gardening job or a walk in the city, to get a tan. So not only if we go to the sea do we have to worry about buying solar and similar products.
Here are the golden rules for the right protection.
1. 50% of UvB, the most harmful rays, reach Earth between 11 AM and 4 PM. Not exposing yourself during this time slot saves a fair share of damage.
2. Don’t use residues of old sunscreen because filters are subject to degradation.
3. There is no low, medium or high protection. The sunscreen contained in the creams is the same for everyone, what changes is the duration.
Example: a protection 30 will last 1 hour and 50 minutes, while a protection 50 will last 2 hours and 50 minutes. This is because the number shown on the package must be multiplied by 5.
Guidelines for tan
4. The sunscreen should always be spread at least 15 minutes before sun exposure and renew it not only after the calculated time has elapsed, but also if you get wet.
5. To make the tan more homogeneous or to start stimulating melatonin before exposure to the sun it’s possible to use BB mousses.
The self-tanning mousse of Farmona, it’s easy to spread and absorbs quickly.
Sunscreen protection 50 of Farmona, Sun Balance that combines excellent quality/price.
Skin protection also means lips, better if with a nourishing balm like the one with olive extract by Ziaja Natural.
6. Use thermal water. It’s a cure-all for the skin put to the test by the sun and avoiding dehydration, but it’s also perfect for removing salt after a swim in the sea.
An excellent workout can be the thermal water of Avène which soothes itching, irritation and redness of the skin.
Guidelines for after sun
7. Use the after sun. Although it’s protected during the day, to prevent wrinkles and damage to the skin it’s good to use an intensive treatment in the evening to prepare the skin for subsequent sun exposure. You can use the numerous after-sun products sold commercially in combination with solar, but an excellent natural solution is aloe vera which soothes and hydrates the skin with its active ingredients.
The after sun that I suggest is that of Farmona, Sun Balance line, which cares for and regenerates the skin. It hydrates intensely and restores its elasticity by combining the action of thermal water with aloe vera. If instead you want to use this in purity, the gel of Holika Holika which with its emollient effect takes care of the skin after tanning.
BB Mousse Farmona 💚💚💛❤️
Farmona Sun Balance Proection 50 💚
Lip Balm Ziaja 💛
Avène Eau Thermal 💚💚
Farmona Sun Balance After Sun 💚
Holika Holika 99% Aloe Gel 💚